International News: Trump says no Iran talks underway as he calls Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’
By Zoila Palma: Today, US President Donald Trump said that no talks with Iran are currently taking place or scheduled, contradicting comments from his envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner, who said a day earlier that Washington and Tehran were engaged in “very positive and active conversations.” Trump said the US naval blockade of Iran remains […] The post International News: Trump says no Iran talks underway as he calls Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’ appeared first on Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com.
By Zoila Palma: Today, US President Donald Trump said that no talks with Iran are currently taking place or scheduled, contradicting comments from his envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner, who said a day earlier that Washington and Tehran were engaged in “very positive and active conversations.”
Trump said the US naval blockade of Iran remains in effect and claimed the Strait of Hormuz is open and that mines in the strategic waterway have been removed or detonated, AFP reports.
Trump also posted a map on his Truth Social account labeling the Strait of Hormuz as “NEW U.S. Territory,” renewing his recent threats to claim control over the vital waterway. The strait is a key global energy route through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil supply normally passes.
Iran has effectively restricted traffic through the chokepoint since the war began on February 28, demanding that Washington end its blockade, lift oil sanctions, unfreeze Iranian assets and provide compensation for war-related damages.
While fighting has recently slowed, tensions remain high. The United Arab Emirates said Tuesday that Iran fired two ballistic missiles toward its territory, although both fell into the sea.
Iran has insisted that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until US commitments outlined in a memorandum of understanding are fulfilled, while Kushner said Trump was prepared to be patient and would not rush into a deal.
The post International News: Trump says no Iran talks underway as he calls Strait of Hormuz ‘New US Territory’ appeared first on Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com.


