Crown seeks more witnesses in Mabothile trial
Moorosi Tsiane THE murder trial of Sello “Scalo” Mabothile, who is accused of fatally shooting his associate Tebello Koelane, took a dramatic turn this week after the Crown revealed it intends to call three additional witnesses. The unexpected development emerged before High Court Judge, ’Mabatšoeneng Hlaele, when Crown Counsel Advocate (Adv) Tsebiso Fuma and defence lawyer Adv Motiea Teele KC failed to agree on how... The post Crown seeks more witnesses in Mabothile trial appeared first on Lesotho Times.
Moorosi Tsiane
THE murder trial of Sello “Scalo” Mabothile, who is accused of fatally shooting his associate Tebello Koelane, took a dramatic turn this week after the Crown revealed it intends to call three additional witnesses.
The unexpected development emerged before High Court Judge, ’Mabatšoeneng Hlaele, when Crown Counsel Advocate (Adv) Tsebiso Fuma and defence lawyer Adv Motiea Teele KC failed to agree on how the matter should proceed.
The disagreement prompted Justice Hlaele on Monday to postpone proceedings until Tuesday to allow both parties time to deliberate on the issue.
When the matter resumed, Adv Fuma informed the court that the prosecution still intended to lead evidence from three more witnesses.
“My Lady, we are at the point where we wish to call three more witnesses and we need days. We agreed on certain facts. These witnesses will be called if there are disagreements on some statements where there are disputed facts,” said Adv Fuma.
He explained that the witnesses were linked to agreed facts whose summary would be read before the court, adding that two disputed facts still required further testimony.
Justice Hlaele subsequently postponed the matter to 24 and 25 August 2026.
“I have indicated that we have hit a technical snare which is yet to be unravelled on 24 and 25 August 2026,” said Justice Hlaele.
Meanwhile, the court on Monday heard chilling post-mortem evidence from pathologist Dr Tlhabi Moorosi, who detailed the injuries that led to Koelane’s death.
Dr Moorosi testified that Koelane died from multiple gunshot wounds to the neck, chest and back.
“The post-mortem examination was performed on 6 September 2020. He had sustained three entry bullet wounds on the front part of the neck, chest and left side of the back,” he told the court.
He said 500 millilitres of blood were found in the deceased’s chest cavity, indicating that the lungs had become non-functional.
“This also means that the deceased had lost a lot of blood which was no longer in circulation,” he said.
Dr Moorosi further testified that none of the bullets could be removed because they had become lodged in the spine.
“The bullet that entered from the back also affected the left kidney as I found it lacerated and further went to the lumbar spine,” he added.
He concluded that Koelane died from multiple organ injuries accompanied by severe blood loss consistent with gunshot wounds.
Adv Teele accepted the findings of the post-mortem report without contest and indicated that he had no questions for the witness.
Earlier testimony painted a dramatic picture of the events leading to Koelane’s death on 12 September 2020, allegedly over accusations that he had an extramarital affair with Mabothile’s wife.
The court previously heard that shortly before his death, Koelane had confided in friends that Mabothile had accused him of having an affair with his wife.
State witness, Lehlohonolo Lesala, testified that on the night of the shooting, he and Koelane were attending a society meeting at The Clan Guest House in Naleli alongside several acquaintances.
Mr Lesala said the meeting had ended and the group was socialising when Koelane received a phone call informing him that Mabothile was outside looking for him.
“He took the call and shortly after violently dropped the phone on the floor, saying the person on the other end was undermining him,” Mr Lesala testified.
He said Koelane initially wanted to go outside but was persuaded to remain indoors.
Mr Lesala later volunteered to move Koelane’s vehicle into the yard. However, as he approached the gate, he encountered Mabothile entering the premises.
“He asked me who I thought I was and whether I thought I could drive all those cars,” said Mr Lesala.
According to his testimony, Mabothile later dropped his firearm near the gate, picked it up and walked away before returning moments later.
Mr Lesala said Koelane eventually approached Mabothile and confronted him.
“He said he was tired of hiding and that he had heard Mabothile had been looking for him. Mabothile confirmed this and they exchanged a few words,” he testified.
The witness further claimed that Koelane slapped Mabothile, who staggered backwards and reached for his waist. Koelane allegedly drew his own firearm first and pointed it at Mabothile.
Mr Lesala said that while Koelane was explaining to guest house owner, Thabiso Mpeoa, that Mabothile had been accusing him of having an affair with his wife, Mabothile allegedly knocked the firearm upwards, causing it to fall.
“Mabothile then pulled out his own firearm and shot the deceased twice,” Mr Lesala testified.
He further alleged that Mabothile continued firing at Koelane even after he had fallen to the ground, discharging several more shots before taking Koelane’s firearm and firing again.
According to the witness, Mabothile fled the scene with both firearms. Koelane’s firearm was later recovered outside the guest house gate by a security guard.
Koelane was declared dead at the scene by Dr Thabane, who had also attended the meeting.
Mabothile, who is also facing a separate M50 million fraud case, allegedly fled the country after being granted bail in the murder case.
He was extradited back to Lesotho on 4 September 2025, after spending five years on the run and now remains in the custody of the Lesotho Correctional Service following his arraignment before Chief Magistrate ’Matankiso Nthunya.
The post Crown seeks more witnesses in Mabothile trial appeared first on Lesotho Times.