Chivayo withdraws charges against ex-wife and her mother after nights in custody

CONTROVERSIAL tycoon Wicknell Chivayo has withdrawn criminal charges against his estranged wife, Sonja Louise Madzikanda, saying he decided to forgive her because she is the mother of his children. He also withdrew charges against Sonja’s mother, Thabitha Madzikanda (63). The development came after Sonja had spent four nights in custody over cyber-bullying and harassment charges […] The post Chivayo withdraws charges against ex-wife and her mother after nights in custody appeared first on NewZimbabwe.com.

Chivayo withdraws charges against ex-wife and her mother after nights in custody

CONTROVERSIAL tycoon Wicknell Chivayo has withdrawn criminal charges against his estranged wife, Sonja Louise Madzikanda, saying he decided to forgive her because she is the mother of his children.

He also withdrew charges against Sonja’s mother, Thabitha Madzikanda (63).

The development came after Sonja had spent four nights in custody over cyber-bullying and harassment charges linked to alleged Artificial Intelligence-generated images and videos involving Chivayo and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.

Her mother, Thabitha had spent three nights behind bars.

Speaking outside court this Friday, Chivayo said his decision was motivated by the interests of his children.

“What’s wrong with that? She is the mother of my children, so I have forgiven her. My kids have been calling asking for their mummy,” he said.

“Once it involves my children, then I’m defeated because those are the people I love the most.”

Sonja and her mother had appeared before Magistrate Nyaradzo Manokore facing charges under Section 164B of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act [Chapter 9:23].

Prosecutors alleged the pair circulated AI-generated photographs and videos purportedly showing Chivayo with Ramaphosa before the South African leader’s official visit to Zimbabwe on May 3.

The State had opposed bail and indicated it intended to use the alleged AI-generated material as exhibits during trial.

The matter had earlier been postponed after Manokore failed to show up in court due to illness, resulting in Sonja spending a fourth night in custody.

Although Chivayo said he had forgiven his ex-wife and her mother, he defended the initial complaint, accusing Thabitha of going too far by allegedly circulating fake images involving a foreign Head of State.

“For my mother-in-law to circulate fake pictures of me and President Ramaphosa as a way of trying to show that President Ramaphosa’s spokesperson lied when he said it was my first time meeting him at Precabe farm, I think that was a bit out of order,” Chivayo said.

“She went to the extreme. Citizens must respect Heads of State. That was uncalled for.”

He added: “She deserved to have spent a few days in custody. She is a 63-year-old woman and knows what is right and wrong.”

Chivayo insisted, however, that his relationship with the Madzikanda family would continue because of the children he shares with Sonja.

“Our relationship can never end. We have two children together, so it’s okay. I will still be there for them. I have forgiven them, that’s why we have withdrawn the charges,” he said.

On allegations linked to a US$1.4 million trust fund for his children, Chivayo said no fraud had been committed, but claimed there had been attempts to use the funds to purchase land and develop cluster houses without his knowledge.

“As a person who understands the law, there was no fraud committed,” he said.

“But there was an attempt to use US$1.4 million from my children’s investment to buy land.”

He alleged there were also attempts to remove him as a signatory from accounts linked to the children’s investment fund, despite a High Court order granting him an oversight role.

The fraud-related allegations were never placed before the court handling the cyber-bullying matter.

The post Chivayo withdraws charges against ex-wife and her mother after nights in custody appeared first on NewZimbabwe.com.